LatitudeLat 39° 6' 48'' N
LongitudeLong 8° 22' 22'' E
Useful Numberswebsite: http://www.portocalasetta.it
Minimum Draught1 m
Maximum Draught4 m
Sea Bottomssandy and muddy
Shelterlibeccio and mistral
DangersLow sea bottoms at the beginning of quay B
Weather Forecast Service
Further ServicesInternet point
The commercial port of Calasetta is protected by a 300-metre outer breakwater and a 160-metre inner one. Yachtsmen are required to pay attention to low sea bottoms at the beginning of quay B and the so-called Secca del Francese, an insidious shoal located 2.9 metres north of the port, market by a yellow-and-black cardinal beacon. Quay B is exclusively reserved for transiting boats.
Sant'Antioco Island raises in south-western Sardinia, between Capo Teulada on the South and the wonderful Costa Verde on the North. It is only one hour's drive from Cagliari.
Linked to Sardinia through a isthmus and a Roman bridge, the island still preserves an unsurpassing beauty and rich flora and fauna. The soil is rocky, characterized by volcanic grottos and white-sand beaches.
The village of SantìAntioco raises on the north-western side of the island while the eastern side mainly consists of low hills, coastlines and cliffs. The western side features the lowest sea bottoms of the gulf, situated between the island and Sardinia. On the contrary, the eastern side is charaterized by long beaches, often subject to mistral wind.
In the territory of Calasetta, several archaeological remains prove the existence of ancient Pre-Nuraghic, Nuraghic, Phoenician, Punci and Roman settlements. The oldest document of the zone, the Compasso da Navegare (8th century) idicates the cove where the village of Porto Barla raised.
Calasetta is also mentioned in a 1737 Spanish report and in a 1754 document. The history of the town begins in the second half of the 18th century when Sant'Antioco Island was involved in a large recovery programme established by the Savoy government. In 1769, a group of tabarchini, namely people from Puglia and Liguria that had been living in the islet of Tabarca, near Tunisi, for generations, asked the Savoy government to move to Sant'Antioco Island. In 1773, the request from some Piedmontese families to move to the new village was finally accepted. They planted vineyards, which represent one among the main financial resources of the village still today. On January 14th 1793, the community of Calasetta suffered a peaceful French invasion which ended on May 23rd with the arrival of the Spanish fleet. After becoming a municipality of the kingdom, Calasetta finally joined the district of Iglesias. In 1839, St. Maurice's Church was built while the building of the Town Hall in the town square dates back to the last decade of the 19th century or the first one of the 20th century.