General Data


Dock Services


Kos is a Greek island, part of the Dodecanese island chain in the southeasteren Aegean Sea, off the Anatolian coast of Turkey. There are may reasons to visit the island of Koo and its namesake city, an incomparable heap of history and tourism in Greece.

First of all, Kos is the birthplace of Hippocrates, the father of medicine. He is said to have spent most of his life here, sitting anf thinking under the plane tree which bears his name, considered the oldest tree in Europe. But Kos was also inhabited and deeply changed by the Knights of St John who built new wonderful buildings in 1500 and that can be visited still today. Italians, too, ruled in the island in the first half of XX century and they built many palaces and buildings.

This is why visiting Kos means to discover a 2000-year-old history. In the heart of the city, there are the remains of the ancient agorà, the Roman baths, the gymnasium. the Odeon, the Roman house and the Italian buldings built in 30's and much more. The municipal archaelogical museum hosts many treasures.

One among the most famous monuments of the city is the Knights of St. John's Castle, also known as Neratzia Castle, located at the entrance of the harbour, also known as Old Port of Port Mandraki. The halls and the towers of the castle date back to 1315 and they can be visited still today, like the entire building.

The harbour of Kos Mandraki is a part of the city, located just under the castle, near Hippocrates' plane tree and the agorà. Of course, it's a very crowded place with good tourist services, so not a perfect destination to relax.

In summer, it's not easy to find a mooring place here. The harbour offers, in fact, just about 40 mooring places. Reaching Kos is not difficutl; the only danger is represented by the shallows near Cape Kum, north of the harbour. The structure is well-sheltered, except for north and north-east winds.

When approaching the habour, please contact the port staff on VHF channel 74 for mooring instructions. Transiting boats usually moor under the castle, on the eastern or the north-eastern side of the port, where depths reach about 5 metres and bottoms are muddy. The southern side of the port, on the contrary, is reserved for tourist caiques.

The harbour offers pay water and free electricity on the quay under the castle, but only from May to September. Fuel can be required to the harbour staff. Toilets are shared with the ferries terminal and there are no showers